Indigestion Treatment: FSA Eligibility

Indigestion Treatment: eligible with a Flexible Savings Account (FSA)
Indigestion treatment is eligible for reimbursement with a flexible spending account (FSA), health savings account (HSA), or a health reimbursement arrangement (HRA). Indigestion treatment is not eligible with a dependent care flexible spending account (DCFSA) or a limited care flexible spending account (LCFSA).

Eligibility list

What is indigestion?

Indigestion is a condition of impaired digestion, which is to say, discomfort and difficulty digesting food, not to mention nausea and belching and other assorted undesirable functions. Nobody likes indigestion, and it's usually caused by gastroesophageal disease (GERD) or gastritis, for which something called indigestion treatment can be useful, helpful, and quite relaxing. Indigestion treatment refers to antacids, H2-receptor blockers, prokinetic agents, protein pump inhibitors (PPIs), and alternative medicine (WebMD).

What is the best indigestion treatment?

The absolute best indigestion treatment is whichever one your medical doctor prescribes to you. If a medical doctor doesn't prescribe an indigestion treatment, even if it's one of many Over-the-Counter (OTC) indigestion treatments available, then the indigestion treatment won't be eligible for reimbursement with a consumer-directed healthcare account. There are many types of indigestion treatment available Over-the-Counter(OTC) including the types listed above: antacids, H2-receptor blockers, prokinetic agents, and PPIs; each of these act through different mechanisms to reduce stomach acid, neutralize it, or prevent indigestion through other methods (eMedicineHealth).

Why should I talk to a doctor about indigestion treatment?

The reason a doctor's prescription and recommendation is necessary, beyond simply having reimbursement eligibility for the indigestion treatment, is that most indigestion is the result of GERD or gastritis, both of which can have serious additional complications and health issues if left untreated. A medical doctor should provide guidance on lifestyle changes and indigestion treatments for symptoms like indigestion, because they often indicate a medical condition such as GERD. There is also something called functional indigestion, which is indigestion that hasn't been caused by a medical condition, and it's rare but also treatable with the same types of indigestion treatments.