Keeping your baby safe from harmful rays
Yes. Baby sunscreen is eligible with a Flexible Spending Account! Even at a young age, you're probably already bringing your baby along on family outings and exploring the outdoors with them. According to research, a baby's skin is about 10 times more sensitive to the environment, so it's very important to give them the right protection.
An article posted on Baby Center offers great tips to keep your baby sun safe.
5 tips to keep your baby sun safe:
1. Avoid direct sun exposure before your baby is at least six months old. You'll be going outside, but take all the protective measures to avoid a sun burn or too much exposure, as best you can.
2. Keep track of the sun's intensity. The sun rays are strongest between 10 am and 4 pm, so enjoy the outdoors in the early morning or go out after 4 pm. Sun UV rays can also bounce off of sand, snow, water, cement, and can even affect the skin on cloudy days, so proper protection is important on any given day.
3. Dress your baby accordingly. Be sure to cover your baby in lightweight clothing that easily breathes and is also light in color (anything dark absorbs heat, while lighter colors reflect it). Protect your baby's head with a wide-brimmed hat (to also protect the ears and neck) and sunglasses.
4. Create shade and additional layers of protection.You can use your baby's stroller and its sunshade for added sun safety, or even get a pop-up stroller shade.Baby Center adds that there are specific sun tents with built-in UV protection that you could consider, as well, if you know you're headed to the beach or the park.Baby Center also suggests, "Try to keep your baby in the shade – under a tree or umbrella, for example. You may be surprised to learn that shade provides only partial protection against UV rays. Without sunscreen or other protection, even a baby in the shade can get sunburned."
5. Apply broad spectrum, baby sunscreen. If you're not sure about your sunscreen's shelf life, buy new sunscreens to ensure their effectiveness. Baby's skin is very delicate, and needs adequate protection and a baby sunscreen can help with that. You'll want to apply it about 30 minutes before heading out the door, and also reapply it to cover any exposed areas every few hours. If you'll be in the water, you'll want to reapply sunscreen immediately after toweling off.
Can I buy baby sunscreen with an FSA? What brands?
A lot of brands have designed baby sunscreens that are gentler on the skin and often mineral based to ensure that babies are only protected and not harmed by sunscreen. FSAstore.com offers many different options for baby sunscreen, eligible with your Flexible Spending Account.
Here is a top 5 of eligible sunscreens at FSAstore.com:
Aveeno Baby Sunscreen Lotion with SPF 55 combines patented Active Photobarrier Complex™, which maintains broad spectrum protection over time, with natural skin soothing oatmeal. It's waterproof, fragrance free, and prevents moisture loss.
Neutrogena Pure and Free Baby Sunscreen Lotion with SPF 60 also provides superior broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection with Purescreen, a blend of naturally-sourced sunscreen ingredients. It also comes in stick form, and one specifically for the face with SPF 50.
BabyGanics emphasizes moisturizing in addition to sun protection with its mineral based SPF 50 lotion, for use on both face and body. Also waterproof and fragrance free and comes in spray or stick form. If you're constantly on the go, BabyGanics provides small single use sunscreen packs.
Blue Lizard is a chemical free and fragrance free formula with SPF 30. This sunscreen can also be used by adults with sensitive skin. It comes in a special bottle that turns pink when exposed to UV rays. FSAstore.com carries them in 4 different sizes: 1.25 fl oz, 3 fl oz, 5 fl oz, 8.75 fl oz.
Baby Blanket Kids Sport Sunscreen Lotion with SPF 70 is waterproof for up to 80 minutes. It is specially formulated with Titanium Dioxide, a natural UV blocker, for babies and adults with skin sensitive to sunburn. There are three variations of the product specifically for babies: sunscreen stick with SPF 45, continuous spray sunscreen lotion with SPF 50, and sunscreen lotion with SPF 50.
Coppertone Water Babies Quick Spray with SPF 50 is the #1 pediatrician recommended brand with a mild formula that won't irritate or sting a baby's delicate skin.